Application Development Kit
Pre-Packaged Development Kit Accelerates New Designs for
- Captures Sensor Data and Posts to AWS Cloud
- Smartphone App using BLE for Easy Wi-Fi
Network Provisioning and Device Setup
- Battery-Based – 5+ years operation with optimized data posting
- Small form-factor – 25.40mm x 63.50mm
- Easy to integrate new sensors using I2C
The InnoPhase IoT Sensor-to-Cloud ADK offers engineers a complete system that has been optimized for low power reading and posting of sensor data. Sensors are pre-integrated onto the boards and additional sensors can be connected via the I2C port. Time-to-Market is accelerated for your development whether it is a water leak sensor, hazardous gas sensor, accelerometer/gyroscope, or any other sensing or monitoring device.
The ADK uses InnoPhase IoT’s Talaria TWO industry-leading low power Wi-Fi solutions with flexible DTIM settings, configurable Keep Alive timings and a digital radio that allows for ultra-low receive and transmit power. Talaria TWO also can be configured as a BLE radio that enables device setup and Wi-Fi provisioning over BLE. With the integrated 80MHz ARM Cortex-M3 processor, 512KB SRAM and 2MB Flash, everything you need is readily available for a sensor to cloud product development.
The ADK includes the following features and components:
- An Android smartphone app (.apk) that enables Wi-Fi Provisioning over BLE.
- Pre-packaged software application for posting data to cloud service providers, such as AWS.
- Flexible APIs that enable developers to modify DTIM, Keep Alive, and data posting intervals in order to optimize battery life for their project requirements.
- This versatile software runs on either of the Sensor-to-Cloud development boards:
Low Power Sensor Board
- Easy integration of other sensors driver code into the main application. Hardware connections to external sensors via I2C/SPI ports on the EVK board or over I2C on the Low Power Sensor Board.
- Low Power Sensor Board includes Nuvoton M251 MCU for sensor data processing, plus enables an extended battery life mode.
The result is a Wi-Fi enabled, cloud-connected, battery-operated sensor device that can run for over 5 years on two standard AA batteries!
- In a standard demonstration, environmental sensors found on the InnoPhase IoT INP3011 EVK are connected to Amazon Web Services (AWS) using the most efficient Wi-Fi radio available in the market, the InnoPhase Talaria TWO. The sensors post their data to the cloud at an adjustable time interval that allows developers to balance between data volume and battery life. The data can be visualized using graphing programs such as Grafana.
- In the implementation shown here, the INP3011 EVK is configured to poll its integrated sensors once per minute and post to the AWS cloud. The flexibility of the Talaria TWO allows for it to save even more power by not listening to every router beacon. In this case, we have it set to listen only every 1.2s (DTIM12). Keep Alive message timings are adjustable and are critical for maintaining contact with the router when using longer beacon listening intervals. In this case, a Keep Alive is set for every 3 minutes.
- The results of this configuration are measured with a power meter and deliver compelling performance. The average current is measured at 112uA @ 3.3V over 19 minutes. This would deliver more than 2 years of battery life if the product was utilizing two AA batteries (derated to 2200mAh). By modifying the setting to DTIM24 and two-minute post period, a two-year battery life would be achievable using just two AAA batteries.
Once the operation of this application kit is mastered, developers can easily add any additional sensors that need to be evaluated and integrated. Simple modifications will also allow for integration with graphing applications and other cloud services such as AWS, Azure, IBM Watson and Google Cloud. The InnoPhase IoT Sensor-to-Cloud Application Kit allows for accelerated and flexible sensor product development.
INP301x EVK Development
- Purchase a Talaria TWO Evaluation Board of your choice from one of our Distribution Partners
- Register on our Customer Portal to download our Sensor-to-Cloud application. (Note: requires signing an NDA and Development Tools License Agreement to be signed)
Low Power Sensor Board Development
- Contact InnoPhase IoT at to discuss your development requirements. Boards are not for general sale, but can be delivered as part of a product development package